Most dessert beginners will rely on Yelp or Foursquare to find the very best ice cream in a city. But when you become a dessert connoisseur… there are a few tricks of the trade in discovering the best ice cream in a city.
1. Delicious smelling waffle cones are always a great first sign.
2. Simplicity in toppings. You have to have the basics and maybe a few highlight items, but if they offer everything under the sun, that’s a bad sign.
3. A diversity of patrons — not just hipsters or tourists, a solid ice cream place is fun for the whole family.
4. Colorful. No one likes a boring looking ice cream shop.
5. Listen to your gut. Instincts are critically important in picking a good ice cream place.
*And remember: No frozen yogurt, ever.